Habit #1: Healthy churches make decisions in a healthy way.
How does a church make a decision in a healthy way? Here are some key principles:
- Make the decision for the right reason
- Wrong reasons include: fear, reactivity, pleasing people, tradition
- Right reasons include: reaching people, making disciples, church health
- Is the decision:
- Compatible with our denominational theology?
- Consistent with our mission & identity?
- Make the decision the right way – using a healthy, efficient process.
- Including the right people in the conversation
- Having a clear process for the decision and implementation
- Implement the decision to the best of your ability
- Follow the plan
- Learn as you go
- Communicate, communicate, communicate!
Some other principles:
- Don’t vote on anything you do not have to (budget, pastors, council)!
- Focus on team and consensus
- Avoid involving too many people/opinions. Let your leaders lead, but not in isolation.
- Have a good, explainable “why”
Rev. Dr. Marcus J. Carlson, Executive Director