Habit #1: Healthy churches make decisions in a healthy way.
How does a church make a decision in a healthy way? Here are some key principles:
- Make the decision for the right reason.
- Wrong reasons include: fear, reactivity, pleasing people, tradition.
- Right reasons include: reaching people, making disciples, church health.
- Is the decision:
- Compatible with Lutheran theology?
- Consistent with our mission & identity?
- Make the decision the right way-using a healthy, efficient process.
- Including the right people in the conversation.
- Having a clear process for the decision, implementation.
- Implement the decision to the best of your ability.
- Follow the plan.
- Learn as you go.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate!
Some other principles:
- Don’t vote on anything you do not have to (budget, pastors, council)!
- Focus on team and consensus
- Avoiding involving too many people/opinions. Let your leaders lead, but not in isolation!
- Have a good, explainable why!